Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Preserving Memories


My Grandma and I spent some time together rummaging through her old trunks the other day. I love doing stuff like that. Looking at old photos, reminiscing, and just spending meaningful time together. My Grandma is my biggest mentor, so of course anything she gives me has special meaning. While going through a scrapbook she had made as a teen we found 2 images of Mothers and their baby. They were the sweetest portraits, Grandma isn’t sure where they came from, but insisted I have them. I wanted a special place for them so when I got home I went right to work.
 {Josiah, Grandma, Leah, Grandpa}
The first Mother and Baby portrait I hung in our hallway. I painted a formerly black frame white with everyone’s favorite, Rustoleum’s Heirloom White, and just matted it with sage green scrapbook paper.

The next portrait was trickier. I couldn’t find a backdrop paper that made colors in the picture stand out, so instead I dug into my box of mementos and found this. It was tatted by my Great Grandma Alvera and given to me by my Grandma Mary at my Bachelorette Party. This tatted buttercup means a lot, but I just didn’t know what to do with it until now. I got out my scrapbooking brads and affixed the buttercup to the paper and placed the whole thing in a shadow box.

 It’s so simple but yet means soo much. Now to find a place to put it…

3 comments:

  1. Greetings! Man, I am NOT having a good day. I first left a comment on your "Lamp-post" post, and became a Follower with my wrong email. THEN I became a Follower AGAIN with my proper blogging email address, hence you will see me twice under your Followers. THEN I just left a long comment explaining this, and got caught up with the "word verification" and the whole thing got deleted! Anyway, I just wanted to explain the mystery of why I am following you TWICE!
    Best,
    Gloria
    P.S. The Mother and Child pictures you show in your post above are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gloria-Haha! That is quite alright! Thanks for being my first follower! Happy to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kayla. I was actually going to "unfollow" because I thought that your blog might just be for your family! So I felt silly. I am glad that I came back to see this! You can get more Followers if YOU "follow" people, you know.
    Remember: "Do unto others..." ;)
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete